Wouldn’t it be cool if you could send a chat blast to your entire Facebook group?
Click. Whiz. Bam.
Well, you can. Sort of.
Admittedly it’s not click-whiz-bam, but it is possible with some hacky workarounds that we’ve cooked up using MobileMonkey.
In this article, you’ll learn and be able to execute exactly the simple hacks that will allow you to message your Facebook Group members with a free chatbot.
To make a chatbot for a Facebook group, first sign up for MobileMonkey.
Every point in this article uses the chatbot builder, MobileMonkey.
Before you begin, please sign up for MobileMonkey.
You can create a free account for now, or (better yet) sign up for a Pro account. Some of the points below require a Pro account in order to successfully execute them.
Using a Messenger Chatbot to Message a Facebook Group: What You Need to Know
Directly messaging a Facebook group is not an actual feature either of MobileMonkey or Facebook Messenger. There’s no such thing as a Facebook Group Chatbot, unfortunately.
We all wish this were the case.
It would be amazing if you could whip up a message, toss it into a chatbot dialogue, and send it off to a group.
We get variations on this question all the time:
- How do I make a chatbot for a Facebook group?
- How do I create a Facebook group chatbot?
- Can I connect a chatbot to a Facebook group?
- Can you add a chatbot to Facebook chat group?
You can’t do it quite like that. There is no direct solution, only workarounds.
Broadly, it works like this. You must first invite Facebook group members to connect on Messenger. Once they are Messenger contacts, then you can send them bulk messages, chat blasts, Messenger broadcasts, etc.
Let me make a quick aside about chat blasts or broadcast messages. These messages must be non-promotional in nature. No offering coupons or inviting people to your Bargain Basement Blowout Sale. Before you can send chat blasts, Facebook must approve your Page for subscription messaging.
Here’s what you’ll need to create a Messenger Chatbot for a Facebook group:
- A MobileMonkey account
- Your own Facebook group or business page
- Awareness of how to create Facebook ads (Just the basics are fine)
- A little bit of ad budget (even $5 a day is fine for starters)
So, what is the process for inviting your Facebook group members to connect on Messenger?
There are 3 really cool (and surprisingly easy) ways to do it.
GET NEW 100% META APPROVED AUTOMATION TOOLS TO GROW YOUR AUDIENCE IN INSTAGRAM & FACEBOOK FROM MOBILEMONKEY
Increase social media ROI through instant engagement, audience monetization, and time saving tools for creators, coaches, influencers and social media managers. Activate InstaChamp superpowers for Instagram and Facebook for free this week!
1. Chat blast your Facebook group by asking group members to become Messenger subscribers.
One of the most effective ways to introduce group members into your Messenger contact list is to ask these group members to become subscribers.
The way to do this tactically is as follows:
- Create a chat dialogue in MobileMonkey inviting group members to subscribe.
- Post the link to this in your Facebook group.
Let me walk you through that process.
Go to Bot Builder then Dialogues in MobileMonkey.
Create a simple dialogue that makes the request.
Here’s what it looks like in MobileMonkey.
There are two elements in that Dialogue — the Quick Question and the Multiple Choice answer.
Notice how I’m making a straightforward and personalized ask — “Hi Daniel, want to connect on Messenger?”
I provide only one answer — the right one. YES.
That’s it. Once they click the yes, they’re in. Boom.
(Go ahead, please. Try out the link above. It will make much more sense if you do.)
Notice how once you tap or click YES in the dialogue, it automatically sends you another message: “Thank you for subscribing. Type [STOP] or [UNSUBSCRIBE] to unsubscribe at any time.”
This is important.
Just as you want to make it easy for people to subscribe, you also want to make it easy for them to unsubscribe.
If subscribers don’t know how to turn off your chatbot — e.g., by typing STOP — then they might block you. And if too many people block you, then Facebook will impose messaging limits on your page. (This happened to us one time.)
So, the basic concept is this: ask for subscribers and you shall receive. Easy stuff.
- Don’t just drop the link and leave it. Say some nice things. Include an image and throw in some emojis for good measure.
- Instead of posting this link in the main page feed, pin the post. This way, you make sure that your group sees it (and hopefully clicks it.)
- Offer something nice. As an exchange for group members opting in, offer them a free something — a mention, a link, a promo share, whatever. A little sugary sprinkle never hurt.
Join Today’s Webinar with Larry Kim!
Or Register for the Free Replay
Learn all about NEW 100% Meta-Approved Automation Tools from MobileMonkey with a spotlight on features to 10X Instagram & Facebook Engagement and turn social media into a revenue driver for your business.
2. Chat blast your Facebook group by adding a comment guard (autoresponder) to an organic Facebook post.
(I personally love this one.)
“Comment guard” is the MobileMonkey nomenclature for a Facebook post autoresponder.
What you do is add a chatbot to a Page Facebook post using the MobileMonkey comment guard. When people comment on that organic post, they automatically receive an autoresponse inviting them to become a Messenger contact.
It’s the Rumpelstiltskin of Facebook — spinning precious contacts out of mere commenters!
To be clear about it, you cannot use Comment Guards in group posts. But you can use a Comment Guard on your Facebook Page, which will target many of the same people who are in your group. Thus, you are effectively targeting group members to become Messenger subscribers.
To create it, go to Lead Magnets and FB Comment Guard in MobileMonkey.
The process of setting up a comment guard is self-explanatory and simple.
The real sizzle of this process comes when you elicit more and more people to comment on your organic post. After all, the more people who comment on a post, the more contacts you’ll stack up in Messenger.
Here are some ways to do just that.
- Make it a quiz. Ask people a question, and then have them comment their answer. Promise them the correct answer after they comment. You can send it to them automatically in the chatbot dialogue. Brilliant!
- Comment with a gif. Gif comments are all the rage. Ask people any rando question, and have them answer with gifs.
- Boost the post. With a few dollars expenditure, you can add even more Messenger contacts this way.
- Answer with predictive text. Tell people to complete the sentence with predictive text. “When I got to work, I saw….” “My boss is such a….” “I really, really hate…” “It tickles when…” This kind of thing is addictive. (I bet you’re probably wanting to type those sentences on your phone right now just to see what’s going to come out!)
3. Chat blast your Facebook group by creating a Click-to-Messenger Facebook Ad that invites Page fans to become contacts on Messenger.
With this method, you’ll create a click-to-messenger ad that targets fans of your page. These people have the closest proximity to group members, giving you the best chance of getting them to become Messenger contacts.
The goal here is to get your group members to message your Page, thereby growing your subscriber list.
(Facebook does not provide targeting options for groups. Targeting only works for Pages. Page-level targeting is as best as you’ll get.)
Here we go.
Go to Ads Manager and click Create to make an ad.
Create a new Campaign, and choose the “Messages” objective.
In the targeting portion of your ad creation, select Connections and then People who like your Page.
That’s the secret sauce, right there.
Finish up with your ad placements, budget & schedule.
This is where Facebook mojo meets the magic of MobileMonkey. (Did you like that alliteration? I worked hard at that.)
Click Advertising and then Messenger Ads.
Please note: Creating Messenger Ads in MobileMonkey is a pro feature, so it’s available only with a paid account.
Don’t sweat it! Paid accounts are really, really inexpensive right now. The Pro Plan includes everything that MobileMonkey has to offer plus 5,000 contacts, MobileMonkey branding removed, and tons more.
MobileMonkey will walk you through the process of creating the content to send your subscribers in the click-to-Messenger ad.
- Add an image that contains your Page branding — colors, logo, style, etc.. Due to the psychological power of the mere-exposure effect users will recognize your branding and instinctively trust the ad.
- Use a simple and straightforward message, “Hey, wanna connect on Messenger?” Tell them what’s up with the ad and what they’re doing when they click the button.
Once users respond to your ad, they become part of your Messenger contact list.
Find your Ideal Customers with RoboBDR™ Sales Outreach Automation and B2C Prospecting Data
Fill your sales pipeline and win more deals faster at a fraction of the cost of human sales development reps using the MobileMonkey RoboBDR™ database of +100 million B2C prospects and proven sales outreach automation cadences for email and SMS.
Sending Messenger Blasts to Facebook Groups: Final Tips
To send a chat blast to your Facebook group, the concept is simple. Invite your group members to become Messenger subscribers. When they are subscribers, you can send them messages.
It’s the same principle at work for sending Messenger blasts to a page’s fans.
Messaging Facebook group members is 100% possible, but not in a direct way.
Today’s marketers need to be laser-focused on building Messenger contact lists. The marketing era of conversational chatbots and chatbot marketing is upon us. And the new list building is in Messenger contacts.
There are three things in closing that you should know and do:
- Sign up for MobileMonkey if you haven’t yet.
- Join the MobileMonkey Facebook group to get and give help on chatbot marketing. We have over 20,000 members and counting.
- Do yourself and your marketing agency a favor by signing up for the free Marketing Agency Growth Accelerator Summit. The leaders in the marketing field will be instructing attendees on the fastest way to land huge clients and fat retainer fees for your agency.