Editor’s note: In 2020, Facebook updated Subscription Messaging to Facebook News Messaging. This article was updated on Dec. 23, 2020 to reflect the most current Messenger API policies for messaging with news messaging and subscription messaging.
Today I want to talk about a pressing and important issue for Facebook marketers and advertisers — Facebook subscription messaging, aka news page messaging.
Subscription broadcast messaging is a feature in MobileMonkey’s free chatbot platform. But subscription messaging isn’t a Facebook Messenger marketing freebie, it’s an approved status granted by Facebook.
We’ll review what subscription messaging is, who can do subscription messaging in Messenger, and how to use it as a high-impact marketing tactic.
This guide covers:
- What Is Facebook Subscription Messaging?
- What Is The Facebook News Page Index (NPI)?
- Who Can Send Subscription Messaging Broadcasts In Facebook Messenger?
- How To Register For The Facebook News Page Index (NPI)
- How To Send News Messaging Updates In Messenger
What Is Facebook Subscription Messaging?
So what is Facebook subscription messaging? Facebook Subscription Messaging is Facebook News Messaging. Approved News pages can send non-promotional news messages to subscribers for free using Facebook Messenger automation tools.
From the Messenger Platform Policy Overview:
News messaging – Only Pages that are registered with the Facebook News Page Index (NPI) will be allowed to send non-promotional news messages. Due to the global COVID-19 pandemic, select nongovernmental health organizations that are fundamental to the global fight against this disease and Governmental Health Entities that enable messaging, support and services for the treatment of this global health crisis may temporarily be allowed to use this permission to provide messages directly related to the global health crisis. Note that access is limited and subject to Facebook approval; all policies including spam rates, Platform Policies and Community Standards apply; we reserve the right to remove access at any time; and to set additional criteria including restricted usage above and beyond our existing policy set.
News messages allow news publishers to send regular news updates to their subscribers in Messenger. This feature is only available for registered news Pages under the Facebook News Page Index (NPI).
Pages registered with the News Page Index don’t need to apply for news messaging permission.
News messaging apply to news content only, and must not be used for promotional content. Examples of promotional content include, but are not limited to the following:
- Subscription offers
- Content produced by or that promotes a third party (e.g., branded content, affiliate marketing)
To send news messages, NPI registered pages need to use the NON_PROMOTIONAL_SUBSCRIPTION message tag.
But keep in mind that the use of news messaging outside of these approved use cases may result in restrictions on your ability to send news messages. So be careful!
What Is The Facebook News Page Index (NPI)?
Facebook’s news Page index is a foundational step to help Facebook identify pages that primarily publish news content on the platform.
Therefore, any Facebook Page that primarily creates journalism should be registered as a news Page on Facebook.
One of the benefits of registering as a news Page on Facebook is that registered Pages may be eligible for products and services specifically designed for news publishers. Other benefits will evolve over time and registering news Pages will allow Facebook to understand the full breadth and needs of the news ecosystem on the platform.
Learn more about News Page Index benefits for publishers here.
Who Can Send Subscription Messaging Broadcasts in Facebook Messenger?
Is your Facebook Page registered with the Facebook News Page Index (NPI)?
Yes, your Facebook page is in the NPI?! Your Facebook Page is free to automatically blast news updates to your Messenger subscribers!
Not registered in the Facebook News Page Index? No worries! Review the Facebook Messenger rules to understand the rules of engagement for Facebook Messenger marketing? Promotional chat blasts are available to anyone, limited to the first 24 hours, plus one any time after.
How To Register For The Facebook News Page Index (NPI)
Here’s how to get started registering for Facebook’s NPI, or News Page Index.
Any admin with access to a Page in Business Manager should see the “News Pages” option under the “Registrations” tab in Business Settings. This is where you can begin the process of registering your news Pages.
If you’re not already an admin, see this article: How To Add an Admin to Your Facebook Page
Also note that before you can register a news Page, you must first verify your domain and verify your business with Facebook.
In addition to submitting news Pages, publishers also have the opportunity to share optional information about their Page, like logos and editorial policies.
To get started registering for the Facebook News Page Index, go here: Register your News Page
If you aren’t a registered News Page, you have other options to send messages automatically, using the Messenger API. Learn all about Facebook Messenger messaging policies here.
How To Send News Messaging Updates In Messenger
There are a few ways that approved Facebook News Pages can send automated messaging through MobileMonkey. Here are 2 of them:
- Chat blast campaign: Send a mass message to an audience of subscribers, on-demand
- RSS blaster: Connect an RSS feed to automatically send news updates to an audience of subscribers
Option #1: Sending News Messaging Updates in Messenger With The Chat Blaster
- Step 1: Logged into MobileMonkey, go to Campaigns.
- Step 2: Go to Chat Blaster > Create Chat Blaster.
- Step 3: From the chat blast campaign builder, specify Facebook Messenger as the platform and Subscription Message as the type of content.
- Step 4: Select the audience segment you want to receive your news update. (Read more: How to Segment an Audience using MobileMonkey)
- Step 5: Write the content you want to send in your news update.
- Step 6: Send the blast or schedule the blast to send at a date and time in the future.
Option #2: Sending News Messaging Updates in Messenger With The RSS Blaster
If you’re sending news updates automatically based on an RSS feed, you’ll use the RSS blaster in MobileMonkey campaigns.
- Step 1: Logged into MobileMonkey, go to Campaigns.
- Step 2: Go to RSS Blasts > Create RSS Blasts.
- Step 3: Set up the RSS Blast by giving it a name, connecting it to your news site’s RSS feed, customizing the button text and link text, layout setting, and selecting your audience segment. (Read more: How to Segment an Audience using MobileMonkey)
And there you have it! Two ways to send your news updates using subscription messaging for registered Facebook News Pages in the News Page Index (NPI).
MobileMonkey is an multi-channel messaging platform for Facebook Messenger, web chat, SMS, Instagram and more — allowing businesses to stay in touch with subscribers in the messaging apps they prefer today through one unified platform.
Important Next Steps
- Create a free chatbot today with the limited time MobileMonkey Free Forever Special Edition.
- Talk and learn about chatbots with other enthusiasts. Join MobileMonkey Island, our Facebook group of 40K marketers and entrepreneurs who are ready to support you.
- Advance your marketing performance with Chatbot University, a free chatbot tutorial and training area for chat marketers.